E-Invitation for Upcoming Henry County Economic Development Forum!
|Upstairs Meeting Room – Heatilator Center
307 E Monroe St
Mount Pleasant, Iowa
Tuesday November 17, 2009
|Join us Tuesday, November 17th @ 6:00 pm at the Heatilator Center Upstairs Meeting Room for this important Economic Development Forum!
Community Meeting: Get Involved!
This Forum is for all Citizens, Businesses, Community Leaders and others interested in the future of our local communities.
Economic Development is an increasingly important part of Iowa’s economy. By the year 2015, more than 20% of America’s rural population is predicted to be self employed. Economic Development creates jobs, generates local wealth and improves the quality of life in Henry County communities. Share your ideas on how to create Economic Growth, attract and serve locally owned business in your town!
To assist presenters and the ADC board, Don Chaplan of the Institute of Decision Making
Free of charge! No registration required!
Contact Kiley Miller at 319-385-3101 Or Email Kmiller@MountPleasantIowa.org
For more information:
Commission requests community input on Economic Development
MOUNT PLEASANT – The Mount Pleasant Area Development Commission invites residents of Henry County and southeast Iowa to share their ideas and insights on economic development at a public forum at 6 p.m., Tuesday, November 17, in the Heatilator meeting room at the Mount Pleasant Library and Civic Center.
The MPADC, a partner in the Mount Pleasant Area Chamber Alliance, is the lead economic development organization in Henry County. The organization’s activities focus on the “four legs” of the economic development stool: Business recruitment; existing business retention and expansion; entrepreneurial support; and community development. Funded jointly by the City of Mount Pleasant, Henry County, and the Mount Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce, with generous additional support from local businesses and service providers, the MPADC has, in 2009:
· Engaged more than 40 business prospects
· Consulted with dozens of prospective local business owners
· Supported large employers in efforts to expand and/or secure local, state and federal assistance
· Led efforts to retain 248 jobs in Mount Pleasant
· Made four out-of-state trips to recruit prospect businesses
· Hosted four public forums with state lawmakers and one local candidates forum
· Traveled to Washington DC to meet with state Congressional delegation and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack
· Sponsored multiple business improvement workshops
· Coordinated an entrepreneurship program at Mount Pleasant Middle School
· Organized a business plan competition that aided three start-up businesses in the county
· Served as liaison between many local businesses and potential customers
The list certainly could go on. However, there is so much more to do. Further, as the economic environment of Iowa changes, the MPADC members recognize the need for an improved and modernized economic development strategy. Thus the November 17 forum.
The event will be facilitated by Mr. Don Chaplain of the Institute for Decision Making at the University of Northern Iowa. While members of the MPADC will be present to answer questions, it is there hope that the majority of the time will be dedicated to audience members’ ideas and suggestions. The information gathered will be incorporated into the MPADC’s subsequent strategic planning process, which will establish the strategy for Henry County economic development through 2011.
The MPADC encourages all residents interested in the economic vitality of Henry County and southeast Iowa to attend this important event.